February 20, 2011

Haiga 505 Yosa Buson haiku 15


Haiku by Yosa Buson. Artwork by myself.

I received an email, asking me if there are any books on modern haiga. Come to think about, I cannot recall any such books, except one by Stephen Addiss, but this book is about traditional haiga. Even in Japan, though there are books on traditional haiga such as ones by Basho and Buson, but none about modern haiga. The reason is perhaps that the this genre is still in developing stage.

My haiga is probably classified as modern haiga, though I am not so conscious of it. To me, whatever artwork you can produce using the tools available today, be they sumi brush, pen and ink, photograph, collage, assemblage, digital and such, can be used for haiga. The important thing is to make sure the artwork and the haiku resonate, which is the difficult part in haiga making.

If you can produce images that emanate poetic message, the techniques and tools do not matter.

No comments: