January 8, 2012

Haiga 733 Children haiku 2


Haiku by Hohsaku Shinohara (Japan). Artwork & Eng. translation by myself.
I think this is a great haiku based on a simple ordinary scene. I, too, noticed the baby's grasped palm when i saw a baby, but haiku like this never came to me.

Babies grasp palm all the time, seems as though they are afraid to shake hand with the world to which they are born to. For the babies, the first instrument of survival is the mouth, to suck milk and to cry to get attentions. The need of the hands come later. My 5-year grand kid is often grasping palm, holding five yen or ten yen coins. I guess monetary system of this world is dawning on him.

2 comments:

Area 17 said...

Fine haiku, and very interesting layers of meaning to plumb.

Alan, With Words

kuni_san said...

Definitely, Alan.