February 11, 2012

Haiga 764 -Water Haiku 1


Haiku by Matsuo Basho. Artwork by myself.
I would like to begin water haiga series with this famous Basho haiku. I am aware that there are more than 20 English translations for this haiku. All are good. The one here is just my choice.
In this haiga, I included Basho's figure with monk cloth and hat on the surface of the water if you care to notice. I used the actual momiji leaves here ( I scanned them and added colors). Japanese calligraphy is done by my friend.

In to an old pond
in to its silence
a frog leaps in

-----
I returned home from Tokyo trip last night. It was a bit exhausting this time so this morning I slept late, till about 11:00, woke up to the sound my grand kids made downstairs. It's a holiday today and kids are running around the house. To me, the sound kids make is as good and soothing as frog's water sound.
-----
I was reading an ebook to and from Tokyo. It is titled "Art of Hearing Heartbeats" by Jan-Philipp Sendker. It is a love story of exceptional magnitude and depth. At the same time, it is about sounds. Truly a pager-turner.

No comments: