April 10, 2012

The Tip of the Writing Brush


A week long class started this morning. Two periods each day will cover a half of a book called "Ofudesaki", or the tip of the writing brush. As a priest, I teach this class once in Japanese and once in English a year. The Ofudesaki consists of 1711 poems written in Waka or Tanka form, originally written with sumi brush by the Foundress of Tenrikyo, who is believed to be the earthly figure of God who created humankind and the world. In other words, this book is written by God itself.

The photo here shows the book I use. As you can see, each verse is in English, Japanese original in modern font, and romanized version.

I always enjoy this class. I always face the class with care, sharing with them all I have learned in this faith, which require great deal of concentration. Conducting a class consume substantial energy. So, I would like to take a break in posting new things on this blog for a while. Hope you do not mind.

4 comments:

Gwil W said...

Oops, you missed the r out of Brush. This make a big difference.

kuni_san said...

Thanks for pointing out typo.

Gillena Cox said...

best regards; wishing you well with your new project


much love...

kuni_san said...

Thanks, Gillena-san. My class is coming along fine. Three more days.