September 21, 2012

Haiga 897 - Matsuo Basho haiku from Nozarashi Kiko

Haiku by Matsuo Basho. Artwork by myself

The 16th ha.iku from "Nozarashi Kiko".
Basho wrote:"I wandered alone into the heart of Yoshino. The mountains were so deep. White clouds lay piled on the peaks, and misty rain filled the valley. The woodsmens’ tiny huts were scattered all around, and the sound of wood cut to the west echoed on the east. Temple bells struck to the base of my heart. From of old many who abandoned the world and entered these mountains fled into Chinese poetry, took refuge in Japanese verse. Surely one can call this Mount Lu, like the mountain in Cathay. At a certain temple lodging, I put up for the night."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

strangely enough, yesterday I did a painting with the first haiku from Nzarashi Kiko ("Bleached bones.....") in a completely different style, but with the same formal design (interlocking leaves).
NC (in Tokyo)