July 17, 2016

Good advice to the writers

Writers who are blessed with inborn talent can write easily, no matter what they do—or don’t do. Like water from a natural spring, the sentences just well up, and with little or no effort these writers can complete a work. Unfortunately, I don’t fall into that category. I have to pound away at a rock with a chisel and dig out a deep hole before I can locate the source of my creativity. Every time I begin a new novel, I have to dredge out another hole. But, as I’ve sustained this kind of life over many years, I’ve become quite efficient, both technically and physically, at opening those holes in the rock and locating new water veins. As soon as I notice one source drying up, I move on to another. If people who rely on a natural spring of talent suddenly find they’ve exhausted their source, they’re in trouble.

In other words, let’s face it: life is basically unfair. But, even in a situation that’s unfair, I think it’s possible to seek out a kind of fairness.

Haruki Murakami

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/06/09/the-running-novelist

3 comments:

vegahelp said...

I was always the student that teachers would say, "He has so much potential." I distinctly remember the day when it ceased being a compliment. After that moment, I had to work to turn potential into production. I am convinced that I wasted a good portion of my 20's resting my talent and not working my art.

Gwil W said...

A big thanks for the link to the New Yorker article. I'm nearly 70 and I enjoy running. This morning I ran for 2 hours, but I have to say I run well within my comfort zone and tend to stay well away from concrete and tarmac. Forest trails are my favourite. I've never written a novel. I wouldn't dare impose a regime on my nearest and dearest,

cheryl said...

Interesting post and personally timely. I do write in my journal and mean to post but life gets in the way ~sigh~. Thank you for this. :)