July 6, 2011

Haiga 607 Peggy Willis Lyles haiku - firefly


Haiku by Peggy Willis Lyles. Artwork by myself.
"Hotaru" is the word for firefly in Japanese, and I like the sound of it. It certainly does not remind me of sometimes annoying and harmful "fly".

I always thought "fly" was not a suitable word for this cute little clean bug. The fly is always harboring at dirty water and on stinky decaying things. It spread germs, too. On the other hand, the "Hotaru" live by sweet, clear water. They harbor on it like tiny fireworks. It is such a delight for young and all to see them at night.

I wonder what is the suitable English word for this bug.

-----
I 'll be off to Tokyo for a several days. Will continue posting after I return so stay turned.

2 comments:

Devika Jyothi said...

Honto, Kuni-san?

that's the only word I know in Japanese ...may be i'll learn more here :)

You mean to say firefly is not English...but it's also called lightning bug....hope i'm not bugging too much :)

Nice haiga - art and words; have done that in my childhood....the kids these days say it's "cruelty to animals" -

wishes,
devika

Gwil W said...

looks like a glow worm (which strangely is not a worm)