April 28, 2011

Haiga 575 Juanito Escareal haiku


Haiku by Juanito Escareal (USA, Philippines). Artwork by myself.

When I was young, I lived in Hawaii. Like anybody else on the tropical island, I was fond of playing on the beach and with waves. I remember the quietness of underwater. In the silence, you swim with small fishes. That was really nice.

One time, however, I was caught by a rather big wave. When that happens, your body roll and roll, and quickly you lose the sense of direction, cannot tell which side is the surface. You keep struggling for breath and . . . In my case, water was shallow so here I am still breathing.

I assume that was how people died in the tsunami struck areas in the north. More than 90% of about 40,000 deceased were drown. May those souls rest in peace in the now gentle warm sea, and will return to this world as the new born.

No comments: